Kilmore is located approx 60kms north of Melbourne between Wallan and Broadford on the Northern Highway to Echuca. It is one of Victoria's oldest inland towns, having been declared an official town in 1843, and has a population today of over 7000.
Kilmore features a collection of historic buildings, many of them bluestone, including the Post Office (built in 1863); the Court House (1864), the former police barracks (1892). However, one of the most striking of Kilmore's public buildings is the former Kilmore Town Hall which was built in 1894 and features a decorative facade with enormous Corinthian pillars. The oldest surviving house in Kilmore is Whitburgh Cottage, which was constructed from bluestone in 1853. The cottage is located in Piper Street and now houses a museum which features items of 19th century culture.
The Kilmore Creek runs parallel to the highway and it features parkland, shady spots and walking tracks along much of its length.
Kilmore offers a wide selection of restaurants, cafes, bakeries, take away shops, hotels and supermarkets.
We have a variety of brochures available for those wanting to savour our fine local cuisine.
There are several major sporting facilities including the scenic Kilmore Golf Club and the Kilmore Racing Club which hosts a multitude of events including the acclaimed Kilmore Cup held in February each year and the Kilmore Pacing Cup held in October each year.
A farmers market is held on the last Saturday of every month at Hudson Park.
The Kilmore Celtic Festival is held on the last weekend in June each year. The festival is a tribute to the Early Celtic Settlers who shaped Kilmore and features Folk and Celtic music, markets, musical instrument workshops and dance.
The Tramway Museum is located south of Kilmore at Bylands and is open every Sunday and allows visitors to ride a heritage tramcar and view the tramcar collection.
Monument Hill located a few kilometres to the East of town is a fauna and flora reserve that includes a monument to the explorers Hume and Hovell in the form of a bluestone lookout tower which offers scenic views towards Kilmore and the surrounding countryside.
If you are visiting our region and would like more information on what to do while you are here, stop into our Visitor Information Centre located at:
Kilmore Visitor Information Centre
12 Sydney Street, Kilmore
Phone: 03 5781 1319